Barry Ferguson

Guest onefinfalkirk

Guest Spanky Rodriguez

It certainly shows that we don't rely on him anyway as some journalists would like us to believe. I know it wasn't a be all and end all match but i really hope that Walter gives the same starting 11 a run out in our next game and leaves Ferguson on the bench as the lads certainly deserve another chance to play together. It might also give Mr Ferguson a kick up the arse to show him that he isn't guaranteed a place from the start and that he's going to have to work a wee bit harder.

The guy is highly over-rated, been saying it for years and could get no c**t to agree. I believe too many got caught up in the "he's got great potential" shite and now they're realising that he's going to get no better only slower and worse.

That dud ponces around spraying only square balls and can't even take a set piece.

FBF

FTOF

Ferguson is not be as good as the press clique say he is, but he should still be in the Scotland team. you can only pass to people who make space for themselves, so until Scotland produce some pacy wingbacks or midfielders with a bit of movement its either sideways passes or hopefull punts. He had a bad game on Saturday, but he had been coming good before that. It worries me that he'll start getting the Gary McAllister treatment and think its not worth turning up. At the moment the way we play we have Fletcher and any 2 from Ferguson, Hartley and Quasie. After that nothing. Also Fletcher could go the same way as McFaden if he stops getting a regular game for Man U. So the witch hunt for Ferguson is OTT.

Ferguson is certainly over-rated but he is in no way a dud. Tbh his form for Rangers is more of a worry for me than his form at International level. He has been nowhere near the player for us since he came back from Blackburn. That in part probably comes down to our midfield as a whole becoming weaker, but I think at least a bit of it is due to Barry thinking it is too easy in the SPL.

Ferguson is certainly over-rated but he is in no way a dud. Tbh his form for Rangers is more of a worry for me than his form at International level. He has been nowhere near the player for us since he came back from Blackburn. That in part probably comes down to our midfield as a whole becoming weaker, but I think at least a bit of it is due to Barry thinking it is too easy in the SPL.

710598[/snapback]

Square pass after square pass, nose bleed going forward. Dud.

Ferguson is not be as good as the press clique say he is, but he should still be in the Scotland team. you can only pass to people who make space for themselves, so until Scotland produce some pacy wingbacks or midfielders with a bit of movement its either sideways passes or hopefull punts. He had a bad game on Saturday, but he had been coming good before that. It worries me that  he'll start getting the Gary McAllister treatment and think its not worth turning up. At the moment the way we play we have Fletcher and any 2 from Ferguson, Hartley and Quasie. After that nothing. Also Fletcher could go the same way as McFaden if he stops getting a regular game for Man U. So the witch hunt for Ferguson is OTT.

710565[/snapback]

I agree with that post.

Guest BRFC Tartan Army
Ferguson is not be as good as the press clique say he is, but he should still be in the Scotland team. you can only pass to people who make space for themselves, so until Scotland produce some pacy wingbacks or midfielders with a bit of movement its either sideways passes or hopefull punts.

710565[/snapback]

fucking excellant post mate, couldn't agree more, your only as good as the players you play with

Keep him in the squad but he should defo not be a 1st pick, too many sideways passes when really, a player of his supposed quality, should be looking for the through ball.

I don’t go with this "well he needs people to make runs for him", every other midfielder can pass it forward to a player so why cant he?

He just simply doesn’t do enough for the hype he gets, and his shooting is murder!!

Keep him in the squad but he should defo not be a 1st pick, too many sideways passes when really, a player of his supposed quality, should be looking for the through ball.

I don’t go with this  "well he needs people to make runs for him", every other midfielder can pass it forward to a player so why cant he?

He just simply doesn’t do enough for the hype he gets, and his shooting is murder!!

710738[/snapback]

I agree with that to be honest. He is a decent player, but no more than that.

I think with him in the midfield we are too pedestrian - I dont think it was a coincidence Darren Fletcher looked much better than previously last night without Ferguson round him taking the ball away to go back to Steven Pressley with.

We need a midfield that will look to go forward more than Ferguson does. I'd have him on the bench to use as an option if we take the lead and need to keep the foot on the ball a bit more, but I wouldn't start him in present form.

Its a moot point anyway though, as there is more chance of Smith dating Caprice than there is of him dropping his boy Barry.

The guy is highly over-rated, been saying it for years and could get no c**t to agree.  I believe too many got caught up in the "he's got great potential" shite and now they're realising that he's going to get no better only slower and worse.

That dud ponces around spraying only square balls and can't even take a set piece. 

FBF

FTOF

710539[/snapback]

What did you think of Walter Smith's tactics last night?

Its more the formation and the fact the players showed a bit more fight than they did on Saturday, rather than the fact Ferguson was not playing. In the Norway game we did really well with the same formation but Ferguson played and did well and Quashie was injured.

The thing with fergusson is half the time he doesn't look intressted. The game on saturday it just wasnt him it was near enough all off them. He is a good player but a bit over rated. But u've also got to remember how good he was against Itlay and Norway. But for the next game I would leave him on the bench so then he might start realising that he can be droped if he is shite.

I still think that Ferguson and Fletcher are out two best players and it would be madness to drop him. The problem is that Rangers and Scotland seem loathed to play him in his best position, he is a great continuity midfield player in front of the back four (a position that Vogts and Smith seem to want to fill with a central defender) but some on here seem to expect him to bomb forward, creating and scoring goals.

Personally I think a midfield like this isn't far wrong (you could switch Fletcher and Hartley)-

Quashie-----Fletcher----Hartly

--------------Ferguson----------

I still think that Ferguson and Fletcher are out two best players and it would be madness to drop him. The problem is that Rangers and Scotland seem loathed to play him in his best position, he is a great continuity midfield player in front of the back four (a position that Vogts and Smith seem to want to fill with a central defender) but some on here seem to expect him to bomb forward, creating and scoring goals.

Personally I think a midfield like this isn't far wrong (you could switch Fletcher and Hartley)-

Quashie-----Fletcher----Hartly

--------------Ferguson----------

711579[/snapback]

I would only play Ferguson against teams that are far superior to us.

Hes useful at slowing the game down and taking the bite out of other teams.

He can calm players down round about him and take responsibility.

When playing a nation similar or lower in standard to our own (Ive heard theres one or two somewhere ;) ) then I wouldnt play him.

The team is less creative with him playing and if we need to win matches, he isnt the answer. The game the other night showed that in abundance.

Only my opinion though. :)

Archived